Clint Boon's Set 2 Go live review

Clint Boon's Set 2 Go is a wonderful experience for new bands to get their name out there and for people to discover new music. I walked into the gig completely unknown to all of the bands as I'd heard non of them before so I could write up my very first impressions. It was well organised with 2 alternating floors of live music and was inclusive as all it was open to all ages. I think that this is really important because I find it difficult as it is to see live music as I'm 15. Age restrictions make it difficult for young people to experience live music which is why I'm glad there wasn't an age restriction as it inspires teenagers and children to buy an instrument and try something they may not have done without gigs like this.

Ryan Jarvis
The first act on the Sunday afternoon was Ryan Jarvis, whose strong, powerful voiced matched perfectly with the soft acoustic guitar. I found it pleasant to listen to and was transfixed by the calming tones of his voice. He was utterly brilliant.

The second act, Tourist Attractions, were an electronic rock band that was a contrast to the indie melodies of Ryan Jarvis. You couldn't help but dance to their energetic riffs. What stood out for me was their amazing mash up of New Order and Foals (I swear it was Foals, right guys?). I recognised the bass line to 'Blue Monday' instantly and it was so skillfully morphed together to create this masterpiece.

Looking at Maruja, a fairly new band from Stockport, I never would have imagined the sound they created. Their funky sounds flew through the room, intoxicating everyone. I was in disbelief when I discovered that they were 18/19, they are so young and this shows that they must have a real passion and dedication for music to be that talented at that age.

Maruja
Liam McClair, appearing with a band for the night, was absolutely fabulous! We only got to see the last half of the set as we had run out for lunch in the break beforehand, but what I did see was brilliant. Stunned silence as his voice echoed throughout the room.

Another Stockport band followed up downstairs, Matter Of Mind played with determination and professionalism. Filling the space with their full sound, captivating the audience with their well constructed songs. This was an especially poignant performance for the lead singer, as the last time he was at Sound Control, he broke his neck crowd surfing.

The Jade Assembly lead the crowd back up to the loft and thoroughly entertained us with their alternative tunes that I felt the need to dance along to with the strong riffs and bass lines that hung over the audience long after they were played.

The Jade Assembly
Next was Jess Kemp who sounded completely different to what I would have imagined- not that this is a bad thing because she had an amazing and unique voice that was backed by a wonderful band. Her cover of 'Black Horse and a Cherry Tree' was particularly brilliant to me as I remember having that specific KT Tunstall album on cassette and playing it so much that it wore out. It was a truly wonderful cover and worked perfectly with her style of music.

No Hot Ashes seemed to have brought their own following as the room erupted as they began to play their funky songs that were unbelievably catchy!The floor shaking as the crowd got bigger and more energetic. Its clear that they've come a long way with their dedication and skill.

Despite technical issues causing their set to be cut short, Ist Ist played through without a blink, keeping spirits up. What we did get to witness showed us how brilliantly they portrayed their dark and heavy sounds.

Upstairs gave us the energetic Saytr Play, who seemed to play more for the fun of it which made you smile in no time. Their lead singer joined the crowed of mainly excited teenagers, his uplifting spirits got the surrounding crowd singing and dancing a long happily.
The Blinders


The last band of the night, The Blinders, really brought back the angst and anger that fueled punk bands in the 70s, with their political statements intertwined within costume, instruments and lyrics. I really enjoyed seeing a band that used their music to get their views across about topical affairs that they clearly believed strongly about. It was massively contrasting with Saytr Play and their upbeat tunes and melodies but I loved the darkness surrounding The Blinders the entire time they were on stage.


I think that the gig was an amazing experience for both musicians and the audience giving people a chance to discover something new and to maybe be inspired to start their own band. I am so grateful for everyone who took their time to organise the event as it really was wonderful and I know I'm not the only one who can't wait for the next one.

Comments