The View and guests live review

I hadn't planned on seeing The View until the week before, as I believed it to be sold out, but I was lucky enough to get hold of the last ticket. This was an especially important gig for me as it was the 10 year anniversary of the album, 'Hats Off To The Buskers'. Despite only being 6 when it came out, I vividly remember my dad playing it to death in the car as soon as it was released. Many of my younger years were spent listening to it so it was most likely one of favourite albums at the time- along with 'Young For Eternity' and 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'.

The Blinders
Unfortunately, I missed the first support act but got there just in time for one of my favourite new bands: The Blinders. I'd seen The Blinders the week before supporting The Membranes and they'd blown everyone away with their aggressive riffs and clever political lyrics. In their set, they played fan favourites 'Swine' and 'Ramona Flowers' with great skill, creating a fantastic atmosphere that filled the room as hard hitting chords struck against the walls. I have never been disappointed by their performances as they're always so full of passion and energy- The Blinders certainly prepared the crowd for The View!
The venue lights shut off and pink and green LEDs around the amps shot on. We knew the long-awaited moment was close. 'Rock 'N' Roll Star' by Oasis blared from the speakers, the crowd chanting cheerfully along yet all eager for The View to emerge out of the dark...

The View
They started their set with 'Coming Down'. Cheers erupting from the crowd as the sounds of the energetic riffs merged with the excited singing at the edge of the stage. Following with popular numbers, 'Superstar Tradesman' and 'Same Jeans' that got us all pounding our feet, shaking the floor as sound bounced off the walls, intoxicated the audience. Coming back for an encore, they played hits from their later albums- all just as passionate as the first part of their set with continuous chants and cheers from the audience in between tracks. Ending with 'Shock Horror', the audience exploded into song and dance for the final time that night. Strong, powerful rhythms echoing throughout the venue- it was definitely a night to remember!   
The View

It was incredible to hear all these beloved tunes that had been so regularly played on the long drives to Ireland when I was just in primary school. Listening to them performed inches from me gave me that same feeling and thought of 'fucking hell- this is truly amazing!' that I got 10 years ago on Revolution Radio. I'm so glad I went because it had such a brilliant atmosphere as there were people just as young as me (okay, maybe a little older) singing along next to people in their 40s. It really shows the wide impact The View have made.

Comments